solved Installing the latest version on Linux

eventhorizons

Aktiver Benutzer
Landesflagge
I was looking for something to replace my ancient BobCAD, that I exclusively use to create G-Code from DXF files for my even more ancient Bridgport Series I CNC running BOSS-5.

I try very hard to use FOSS whenever possible, however if I do buy something I want to own it and will not participate in subscription models for software.

My desktop is Gnome on Rocky 9 (RHEL) and I was able to build and install the 20220226 RC1 version of DXF2GCode. I am going to need to figure out how to tweak it to support my BOSS-5 system. It looks like that will be doable but the arcs have me worried.

GitHub Sourceforge only shows an MSI in the development area.

I'm not familiar at all with the nature of MSI files and I have done only the most rudimentary work in Python.

1) If I were to extract the python files from the MSI, would those work in Linux?
2) Would that be worth the effort?

Thanks in advance!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Do you have the links for me please?
- github
- BOSS-5
Etc
Does BOSS-5 process the same G-code as LinuxCNC?

Do you have the links for me please?
- github
- BOSS-5
Etc
Does BOSS-5 process the same G-code as LinuxCNC?
The GitHub Sourceforge development branch: dxf2gcode - Browse /Development at SourceForge.net

BOSS-5 is the really old (80's) G-code used on the Bridgeport Series I Knee-mill CNC, along with others to be sure. It runs on an old PDP-11 computer!
Its mostly the same, but is just simpler then what you find in modern machines. Does not support a lot of newer features.

The sticky point will be the arcs. BOSS-5 can only trace an arc through a single quadrant, so a full circle has to be expressed as four separate G2 commands. If the arc starts at 20 degrees and goes to 80 degrees, then you need two separate G2 commands.

There are some other things to be considered. I'd be happy to elaborate more on this!

Edit: Sorry, said "GitHub" when I should have been saying "Sourceforge". Mea culpa!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Maybe you're considering a rebuild like this:
You can certainly use other controls (LinuxCNC, GRBL based, etc) ;)
Something like this is definitely on my ToDo list!
The Centroid system is probably more expensive them I want to spend, but I have the skill to implement my own retrofit.
This will happen either when my existing electronics fail (which of course will happen at an inconvenient time!) or when I decide to be pro-active about it.
Until then, however, I keep plugging away.

Even after I upgrade it, I will still need the ability to make G-code from drawings, so I need to get away from BobCAD.

I think the msi is the same version as this:

@chrisko is responsible for the postprocessor ;)
He can help you more with that.
Thank you!
I was able to build and install from that set of files.
Am now playing with it and learning how to use it.

I will work on building a BOSS-5 config and making the changes required to support that particular need.

If I have specific observations on bugs or desired changes to dxf2gcode, what is the best way to research is they are already in the works or to bring them up?

You can propose them here, thats what i prefer ....
Otherwise you can also write a ticket in sourceforge.

Benutzer welche diesen Thread betrachten (Mitglieder: 0, Gäste: 1)

Wer hat diesen Thread gelesen

Zurück
Oben